Subject: [Leica] Film mystery
From: benjaminmarks at verizon.net (Benjamin Marks)
Date: Tue Jul 20 19:53:37 2004

Dear LUGgers:

This evening I processed a roll of (new formulation) Tri-X in XTol 1:1.  The
Xtol was fresh, mixed up in distilled water, but diluted with tap water; I
generally get very good results from this combination.  The film was bulk
loaded and exposed in an M6 with a 50 Summicron. Film was pre-soaked and
processed in a Jobo processor wth seven other rolls of film.   The images
seem ok - density is what I expected. BUT on the non-emulsion side of the
film there is a green patina.  Re-fixing does not get rid of it.  One other
roll of bulk Tri-X from the same batch shows some of the same patina on the
sproket-holes of one edge of the film only.  None of the other film was so
affected (Delta 400).  Now in addition to the patina (which in several spot
looks like small circular blooms resembling mold growth), there is
a"negative" images in the patina, including one rectangular one that has
clearly defined edges which sits in the middle of the strip astride two
images (like a "clear" rectangle, less than the width of the film) .  If the
patina were not on the non-emulsion side of the film, I would say that it
looks like the film was fogged.  But what would produce this sort of fog?
Film was shot at home, never put through an airport x-ray machine (by me at
least) and has sat undeveloped in my bag since late May (I'm just catching
up on some developing . . .)

Any ideas?

Replies: Reply from daniel.ridings at muspro.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Film mystery)
Reply from feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] And now for something completely different...)