Subject: [Leica] OT: Shadows/highlights adjustment in Photoshop CS
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon Jul 26 03:17:09 2004

At 01:07 AM 7/26/2004, you wrote:
>Since upgrading to Photoshop CS a few weeks ago I have received some
>comments that my pictures look overexposed or washed out. I am wondering
>if I am damaging them by using the Shadows/Highlights adjustment. It seems
>to work like magic in recovering shadow detail in the image, so I usually
>apply it, and then make the same type of Levels adjustment I did in PS 7,
>to ensure that the image has the right tonality and contrast. The question
>is, is the Shadows/Highlights adjustment something to be avoided, like the
>simple Brightness/Contrast adjustment, or is it OK to use but with very
>gentle parameters? I know that there are some experienced PS users here,
>so let me hear your opinions.
>
>TIA,
>Nathan

Nathan -

I use the S/H adjustment a lot, but only at partial strength.  I look at
the effect and tone it back until it looks right to me - not usually more
than 25% strength.  My computer monitor is calibrated with the Spyder and
ColorVision.  It could be that your monitor is not adjusted the same as
those who think your photos are overexposed.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com

http://www.pdiphotos.com