Subject: [Leica] Colorado photos
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Tue Aug 3 05:41:51 2004

on 8/3/04 3:07 AM, Mitch Zeissler at mitch.zeissler@verizon.net wrote:

> The shot of the ptarmigan ... What did we do to get so close to the bird?
> Nothing.  We just stumbled across it by pure accident.

This is typical for Ptarmigan (and I have some other stories of grouse,
too...).  In Alaska, all three species of Ptarmigan live is various
habitats.  One of my friends was hiking one day in an area that was good for
either Rock Ptarmigan or White-tailed Ptarmigan.  Seeing one of these birds,
he wanted to tell which species it was.  The sure-fire way to tell them
apart is the color of the tail, either white or black, but the tail is
covered by other feathers when folded.  So... he reached down to the bird,
who was minding his own business, and spread the tailfeathers out.

Thanks for the location info, and good luck with the job hunt.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com