Subject: [Leica] Be prepared!!
From: eperea at walkereng.com (Emilio Perea)
Date: Thu Aug 5 08:30:17 2004

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 10:53:10AM +0100, Peter Dzwig wrote:
> I thought that the last (Spanish) versions of the Me 109G were Hispano
> powered. I believe that to have been true of the one that the founder of
> the OFC (his name alludes me) crashed a few years back

No, it was the first Spanish versions which had Hispano engines.  When
surplus Merlins became available, they were quickly adopted.  They were
more powerful, much cheaper, and turned the right way.

The BF109 had an asymmetrical rudder to help counteract the engine's
torque; but the Hispano engine turned in the opposite direction to the
original Daimler Benz, so pilots of the earliest versions had to keep a
heavy foot on the right (left?) pedal to fly straight.

This leads me to believe that the Hispano engines were only intended to
be a temporary measure, since it should have been simple to fix the
rudder.  Willi Messerschmitt was working for Hispano Aviaci?n at the
time, and I'm sure he heard a lot about it!

The ones in the Battle of Britain movie were definitely Merlin powered
(you can tell by the location of the exhaust pipes).

The Czhek versions had Junker Jumo engines, which I've read were horrible
in that application (too much torque for a fighter as well as turning
the wrong way).  But as far as I know they were the only postwar BF109
variants to fly in combat (with the Israeli air force in 1948).

Message from DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp) ([Leica] Be prepared!!)
Message from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Be prepared!!)