Subject: [Leica] My first 'PAW' (/me finally digitizes a photo :-)
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Tue Aug 10 15:09:07 2004

Well, I've been doing a bit of work on my personal website that is
making it possible to start posting photos (In my blog).

This week I found myself in need to quickly produce a prints of some of
my work (for a charity auction), and my B/W darkroom is not functional.
I've been borrowing an enlarging darkroom for the past year or so and
don't have access for a couple of weeks as my friend is out of town, so
in any case I decided to see how a Photoshop'd print on an Epson 2200
would work.

I have to say, dodging and burning as well as split toning is quite
easy in photoshop :-))

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the print. And since I did
digitize this negative, I've posted an entry in my blog here:

http://jborden.org/etc/index.cgi/photos/weston-lake.html

In comparing the Epson 2200 print (made on Entrada Fine Art Natural) to
my reference print made on Bergger probably developed in either Amidol
or Ansco 130 and gently toned in KRST, this is what I see:

Sharpness and detail is roughly equivalent. I don't see a huge
difference in tonality. D-max looks better in the FB (glossy air dried)
print, but the the Epson print is matte.

The biggest difference is that the inkjet print is definitely 'on the
surface' whereas the Fiber print appears below the surface of the print
-- this is not entirely the glossy/matte issue as, e.g.,
Platinum/Palladium prints have that 'depth' appearance.

I am not sure how much of this will be apparent under glass.

Jonathan

Replies: Reply from firkin at balhpl01.ncable.net.au (firkin) ([Leica] Re: My first 'PAW' (/me finally digitizes a photo :-))
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] LUG membership, "A Waiting for Go/Dig" issue.)