Subject: [Leica] decline in LUG membership
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (nathan.wajsman@planet.nl)
Date: Wed Aug 11 04:03:38 2004

In addition to what Frank says (with which I wholeheartedly agree), there is
also the fact that all the P&S, including the high-end ones, have very
limited manual options and terrible ergonomics. Lots of little buttons to
push etc. The DSLRs, at least the two Canon models I have held in my hand
(Canon Drebel and the 10D I bought), feel and handle just like their
film-based cousins. Not like a Leica R8, since these are modern autofocus
SLRs, but much like the film-based Canon EOS cameras.

As I buy the lenses for my 10D, I am conscious of the fact that in a year or
two I might buy another Canon DSLR, with a bigger sensor so that the 1.6
focal length factor I am experiencing with my current lenses may turn into a
1.3 or even 1.0 factor. I buy only regular EOS lenses for that reason,
rather than the "digital only" lenses which might become useless if I
upgrade the body. And I buy focal lenghts which will also be useful with a
lower factor--so far the 1.8/24mm, 17-35mm 2.8-4 zoom, 1.4/50mm and 1.8/85mm
(plus my 100mm Leica Apo Macro with Gandy adapter). The nice thing is that
the combined cost of all those Canon and Sigma lenses is peanuts compared
with what I am used to spending on Leica lenses, so even my SWMBO does not
protest!

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Almere, Netherlands