Subject: [Leica] Leica/Digital - heresy?
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Thu Aug 12 10:44:47 2004

"Douglas M. Sharp" <DouglasMSharp@netscape.net> wrote:

> A slightly heretical question.Does anyone really think that a Leica
> Digital Back, or maybe even an M7D is going to make such
> a difference when compared with, for example,  an EOS with Leica lenses
> on it , as far as I'm concerned the breakdown of
> a qualitively good image is as follows, in order of importance.

Perhaps I missed this in your list of features, but how much difference does
a good viewfinder make in your photos?  Compare the digital Rebel's
pentamirror viewfinder with an M or R8/R9 viewfinder; in my experience a
good viewfinder is a MAJOR aid when using manual focus, and consider that
even if using Canon EF lenses on the Rebel the tolerances for accurate focus
are only +- 1 DOF (vs. better EOS bodies, +- 1/3 DOF).  Methinks comparing
the cost of a Leica back with a digital Rebel is like comparing the cost of
a Leicaflex SL with a Practica.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com