Subject: [Leica] Leica/Digital - heresy?
From: DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Thu Aug 12 11:46:13 2004

Doug,
To a certain extent I agree, maybe it was a poor comparison when
considering SLRs.
I was just comparing the price of what you get for your money.
Personally I find the viewfinder of the Digital Rebel (EOS 300D)
adequate (but no more).
For my general subjects, trains, landscapes, seascapes, I hardly ever
need the quality
required for the long lenses such as the ones you use, for that I still
have my SLs, SL2s and Rs.
I tend to use lenses between 21 and 35mm the most (and sometimes a 100mm
Macro).
This does, of course, reveal one shortcoming of the Canon and Nikon
sensors, and the Leica when
we get it, the muliplication factor of 1.5 or 1.6 when compared with
full frame.
What I do not particularly like about the DR is that it is way too
lightly built. My reason,
apart from the dumping prices now being offered in Europe, for buying
the Canon was the compatibilty
via adapters with about 15 lenses of various mounts(Leica R,
Canon,Contax/Yashica, M42) which I have
in my cabinet, ranging from 15 to 600mm.
If Leica had decided to install a full frame sensor with 10 or more
Megapixels and the touch screen
palm pc sized monitor/remote control/storage unit I dream of, then my
decision to wait for Leica would have been made.

I fully understand that for your line of work most Digital SLRs at an
affordable price just don't make the grade,
and I would be surprised if any digital equipment can, at present,
supply the quality we have so often seen
in your shots.
Douglas