Subject: [Leica] more questions
From: joelmail at mchsi.com (Joel E. Anderson)
Date: Fri Aug 13 03:59:23 2004

Understand that I loved my M and intend to get another.

Understand that I loved my Rollei 2.8E TLR.

Both of those cameras were true experiences in themselves (to make a
potentially very long post shorter).  They almost had a soul.  I have
portraits of each.

So I hope you can understand that I say quite lovingly that I would NOT
recommend either one of them--most especially the M.

When I first got into photography and looked at the prices (and "features)
of the Leica rangefinder, I was stunned.  Even more so as I see old,
dysfunctional cameras selling for real money!  I knew I would never buy
one.  And then did.  And loved every minute.

But by then, I had fallen into the Leica mystique, and just really wanted
one.  And when you already want one, they are just the most fantastic
things.  But if someone is asking what film camera I would recommend, why
recommend the most limited camera around, that also costs 2-4 times as much
as anything else?  The advantage of the Leica can be found in most other
rangefinders (granted, Leica's rangefinder is perhaps the best ever--but
not for the price).

Price is a joke.  Accessory prices are a joke.  Repair prices are a joke.
Rapid street photography?  Is there a slower film changing camera?
Probably.  Perhaps I should recommend that one instead.  Especially if it
is more expensive than a Leica.

Now if someone, like me, really wanted a Leica and asked if it was
everything people say about it, I would absolutely recommend it.  But a
recommendation on a good film camera to use?  If they just read through
this group, they'd find a ton of Leica lovers who are either (1) selling
them fast or (2) shooting with them occasionally because of guilt from
leaving it on the shelf.

By the way, at some point I had to decide whether to sell my Rolleiflex or
my Mamiya C330.  Yup, that Rolleiflex was like the Leica--a fine sports
car!  Just holding it and listening to it "click" was a religious
experience.  BUT, the C330 had interchangeable lenses, close focusing
ability, and you can change film while the camera is mounted on the
tripod.  And if your lens gets damaged, or the shutter craps out?  Just pop
another inexpensive (but very good) lens on it.  Bye, bye Rollei.