Subject: [Leica] Ilford chapter 11?
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Mon Aug 30 03:44:24 2004

Another race not to remember although it was a very good race. I prefer
using an M6 to my digital SLR but the inconvenience of waiting 'till I
have shot the whole film before seeing my results, and the ability to
change ASA value from frame to frame are the deciding factors for me.
With respect to scans, with a 4000 dpi scanner the grain is visible on
200 asa films and faster (of the ones I have scanned) so further
resolution would be pointless. Scans of finer grain slide film may
contain more detail than the scan, I don't know.
I am very conscious of the fact that good comparisons between film and
digital are difficult and have been emotional. I am very happy with the
prints I am getting. If I did not have 40+ years of negatives I would
not have bought a scanner. Prints from scanned negatives look good to
me and I find it easier than Cibachtome (Ilfachrome now) despite my
years of experience in the darkroom. With a complete film and chemical
based solution, the enlarger, its lens, ones focussing accuracy and
skill with the chemicals all exert a powerful influence on the results.
In the complete digital solution there are fewer things to go wrong!
For this amateur the prints I get now via my digital camera exceed what
I personally was able to achieve from film in my darkroom.
The techno fear of digital obsolescence is a non issue in my opinion.
The release of a new camera with new features does not make the one you
already have get suddenly worse or stop working! If it produces the
results you are looking for there is absolutely no problem with
"better" products appearing on the market. There is, for example,
nothing about the new Can*n 20D which makes my 10D any worse and the
improvements are certainly way insufficient for me to consider changing
to one.
I will continue to use my M6 on holiday and for slides but as an every
day camera it is in retirement.
cheers
Frank