Subject: 105/2.5 Nikkor (was: RE: [Leica] Lenses without digital Bodies, Anyone?)
From: telyt at earthlink.net (telyt@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Aug 31 13:45:19 2004

B. D. Colen <bdcolen@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Damn! That raises a really interesting question concerning nostalgia v.
> reality. I remember the classic Nikon 105 2.5 as an absolute killer of a
> portrait lens, a lens so outstanding I have been tempted over the years
> to buy one of the old silver barrel ones. Does anyone know what tests of
> the lens might suggest? Is it as good as I remember it - or was it just
> outstanding in its day

IIRC the silver barreled version is the first optical design, and when it
was re-designed there was much hand-wringing from people who liked the
earlier lens' performance.  Tests and comparisons at the time revealed that
the distance and mid-distance performance of the new version was just as
good as the old, and close-range performance was better.  So if you get the
silver barreled version you can expect somewhat weaker performance at close
range.  Also if the lens is single-coated expect more flare and ghost
images than modern lenses.  Even with these weaknesses it's still a
well-liked lens.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com