Subject: [Leica] the future happened yesterday
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Wed Sep 1 14:34:11 2004

Emanuel Lowi wrote:

> My trusty dealer tells me that he now sells 3x worth
> of Sandisk memory cards vs. film, daily.

> Who feels like some luddisaurus trapped in a Jurassic
> tar pond?

-----CUT-----

So many thoughts.

(1) I buy all my film online mail order. Lots cheaper
and bigger variety. Same for almost all of my gear. I
never really think about it, but I guess lots of folks
must be keeping retailers in business.

(2) I have a D70, and it hasn't bowled me over yet.
If I had to choose between the D70 and FP4+ and
about any decent manual camera (just for example,
souped some yesterday), the FP4+ would win hands
 down - for me.  To my eye, the images are just so
much lovelier.

(3) I don't know about the same comparison with
Reala or NPH, my color films of choice right now.
I don't shoot all that much color, and I'm not much
of a slide film shooter.   Again, I don't usually think
about it, but I guess most camera-wielding folks shoot
color.  Maybe digital is more attractive here if you
get the white balance down just right.

(4) After many decades (more than I am old), is the
notion of achieving some kind of "ultimate quality"
from a small format camera now unimportant. Was
this idea just some kind of accident of technology
and economics?

PJ work is shot for cheaply printed magazines or
newspapers.  In my own lifetime, consumers have
flocked to Instamatics, Polaroid, 126 and APS
format cameras. I remember when my dad bought
me a Canonet as a not so well-healed boy - Wow,
a "real" camera using 35mm film!  I guess I get a
bit of the same tingle using my Leica M6 today :-)

But maybe digital is letting us know that "good
enough and cheap" is the real driving principle of
small format photography?  I don't know. I, for
one, kinda like my M6.

(5) I don't have too many romantic memories of
using film or anything. But right now, a good
composition, decent lighting and a good exposure
will yield a negative that a (vanishing, yes) good lab
can turn into a beautiful, nicely enlarged print.  I've read
this is possible with good "digital darkroom" skills,
but the learning curve and time commitment is very
steep. What about folks that just can't master the
intricate digital workflow process?  A good lab is a
real partner in producing images.

(6) Just thoughts and worries that maybe some of the
more experience folks on this list might help me sort
out.  Might medium format or large format photography
be a better "safe haven" than small format for folks who
want commercial support in producing lasting, high
quality images? Is there any safe haven?

Scott