Subject: [Leica] Re: MORE THAN... digi 2.
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Sep 6 18:00:48 2004

On 9/6/04 11:37 AM, "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@shaw.ca> typed:

> Dan C said:
>
>> But you miss out on the opportunity to apply "channel mixer" to the colour
>> image, to mimick the effect of applying colour filters to the camera lens.
>> And who knows, what if your editor looks at the images and says, "too bad
>> you wern't shooting in colour, I could have used some of these".<
>
> Hi Dan,
>>> But you miss out on the opportunity to apply "channel mixer"<<<
>
> A:  This part I don't know what it is nor how to find it and what it'll do
> in any event. But considering I don't use filters when shooting film, I
> don't suppose this ""channel mixer" thing would make any difference
> anyway.;-)
>
>>> And who knows, what if your editor looks at the images and says, "too bad
>> you wern't shooting in colour, I could have used some of these".<<<<
>
> B:  This will never happen as I don't shoot for any editor unless we both
> know what medium I'll be shooting in. Makes life easier and non-confusing.
> :-)
>
> ted

Also the time-told idiotic adage:
"too bad you weren't shooting in color, I could have used some of these".
Was much more expected and simple to deal with when there was only film and
not digital to confuse the pot.
Now a more expected quote I'd expect would be:
"too bad you weren't shooting digital, I could have used some of these".
As you still shoot in film.
Not the case here with Ted of course here.
But to take the unusual choice of shooting digital in black and white as Ted
said would be a pre condition to the existence of the enterprise itself.

But how about as a pre condition before the photo editor and photographer
ever met?
As in that's how the photographer shoots everything as a default and we are
looking at non commissioned work. Or self commissioned work.
If there isn't already I'm sure there some day will be a photographer who
does photojournalism and prefers black and white as a default.
As there was in film so there will be in digital.
    That's Nietzsche again I'm pretty sure.

"OK I'll trade in my Tri X and Try Lexar but I'm sure as heck not going to
screw around with any of this RGB baloney!"

As this still happens with whoever still shoots in film. And I'm sure there
are still a few. They sleep under the streets and only come out at night.

I think Natchwey is clinging to Tri X captures having tried color film and
digital. When ever he can. And as a default. I think a lot of these photo
editors are not going to argue with Natchweys' choice of output.
As with other photographers of well established reputations.
Like Ted, to put it mildly.

Monotone is not monotonous.

Mark Rabiner
Photography