Subject: [Leica] Leica Digilux 2 @ 1600 :-)
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Sep 7 06:48:03 2004

There is a real visual difference between the two. However, my suspicion
is that we are more willing to accept the grain noise of Tri-X than a
similar amount of digital noise simply because it is what we, as Tri-X
shooters, are used to. Keep in mind that one of the reasons that there
are folks completely dedicated to 2 1/4 and larger formats, and film
slower than an old man walking on an icy sidewalk, is that they think
that grain is ugly and degrades their images. ;-)

I have too say, however, that much as I respect, admire, and like Ted, I
don't get what he's claiming. I took a few shots yesterday setting my
iso for 400, dialing in -2EV, and what I got was - two grossly
underexposed images in which I could see the noise on the LCD. No, I
didn't download them and follow the rest of his formula - I'll try that
today. But I don't get it. Unless - and this may be the trick - IF he's
shooting in really low-light, very contrasty situations, if he's taking
an overall reading of the scene, what he may be unwittingly doing is
exposing properly for the highlights, which are at least two to three
stops above the shadows, and turning the shadows to solid black, so that
the noise disappears in the shadows. Just a thought.