Subject: [Leica] NOW-- TRIPODS! The story of my detention by the NYPD
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Sep 9 15:20:28 2004

Scott said:
> >I just bought my first Leica lens - 28/2, yeah! - and I didn't spring for
some
> >of the worlds finest glass to be told I can't use a tripod in lots of
public
> >places around Washington, DC. My hands are a little shakey, and using
> >a tripod is the classic way around this. I'm not sure how tripod usage
got
> >on the "watch list" of security folks, but it did, and it diminishes the
value
> >I get out of my newly, and for me dearly, acquired Leica glass.<<<<

Hi Scott,
I think tripods and the likes were on the watch list long before everyone
got security antsy, as many museums, art galleries and public buildings did
not allow tripods to be set up by visitors.

As much because it's a pain in the ass for people walking about and possibly
tripping over a tripod leg then the gallery being sued for damages. Anytime
I've shot in a gallery using a tripod I've been assigned by them to do a
shoot. And that's the only time I've used a tripod and they've always had
one of their security people standing along side directing people away from
where we're shooting.

In fact many locations ban cameras for whatever reason, hand held or
otherwise. Even on the basis of "flash will create deterioration of the art
work, so no pictures are allowed!"  And don't even bother trying to convince
the gallery people otherwise that it's hogwash, simply because somewhere
it's written in stone flash will destroy the art work. And that's all there
is to it, so you can't take pictures using flash. However, it's interpreted
as meaning........."You can't take pictures in here!  Flash or not!!
Period!"

Best to quietly take yer Leica along hanging off a long strap on your
shoulder, then your arm kind of covers it. Whatever you do, don't hang it
around your neck because you want to show off a new toy! ;-)

Do your thing as quickly as you can, move on. Like don't spend a lot of time
taking meter readings and screwing around focusing. It works like this:  you
have already picked the spot you'll shoot from, walk to the spot, camera's
up, focus , shoot! Walk on.

And whatever you do........ "do not look back!" Because if somebody is
watching you and you look back you'll appear suspicious and they will come
after you. Been there done it years ago as a rookie and never did it again
after the first time! Never look back!

ted

Replies: Reply from hellman at comcast.net (Jesse Hellman) ([Leica] NOW-- TRIPODS! The story of my detention by the NYPD)
Reply from jon.stanton at comcast.net (Jon) ([Leica] NOW-- TRIPODS! The story of my detention by the NYPD)