Subject: [Leica] OT: Safe Storage - now "day for night"
From: dpost at triad.rr.com (Dan Post)
Date: Sat Sep 11 06:50:50 2004

Phong-
Similar to the question earlier about 'viewing' filters... the Wratten 90
dark amber filter for looking at a scene to visualize the B&W scene a la
Minor White. Hollywood used a Wratten 48 (?) the blue separation filter, and
under exposed early on to achieve a 'night' effect- of course, most scene
shot that way under actual daylight showed very distinct shadows, but
suspending your brain for a moment, it looked like night time- close enough
for "Government Work"

A lot of night shots seem to be done with a rim type lighting now, and look
more realistic except for the occasional pop shot where the light direction
suddenly changes! I suppose the faster film stocks make it easier now than
years ago.

Movies such as 'Cinderella Liberty'- shot by cinemaphotographer Vilmos
Zsigosmond (sp?) who I always considered the 'Master of Available Darkness'
did a good job of shooting in night-time Seattle. I recall he got started by
shooting 'B' grade horror flicks- all done best in night-time scenarios! I
don't see his name in the credits anymore- I guess he has retired, one way
on another. ( Yes- I am one of those tiresome people who sit in the theatre
to the very end looking at the credits. I always find it amazing that so
many people can be gotten together to work on one project and have it
succeed! Even a bad movie is a success in terms of the sheer number of
people working together and not actually breaking out in violence! Maybe
there is something sensible about Hollywood people getting involved in
politics! :o) NOTE BIG SMILEY! I actually think Arnold might turn out to be
a good governor!)

Best of light to you,
Dan