Subject: [Leica] Digilux digressions and dioramas part III, the thundering conclusion
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Thu Sep 16 19:46:55 2004

Mark,

Thanks for the pointer to the FZ3.  Fascinating. A 35-400mm
f2.8 lens in a small P&S?  I'm no long time camera gear hound,
but I didn't think something like that was possible.

If Panasonic really wanted to mess with Leica's head (maybe
some of our heads?), they might stick one of these fast Leica-
designed (???) zoom lenses on a digicam with a nice, noise
resistant APS sized sensor.  I'm not all that in love with my
D70, but I am impressed with its performance at ISO 1000
and thereabouts.  Hmm, how about a fixed f2.8 Tri-Elmar
or 35/1.4 ASPH on an APS sensor equipped Panasonic
digicam for $500. The possibilites are downright weird :-)

More interesting is Panasonic's rapid product cycling. This
is just "good practice" in many technology industries, and
we can see  this norm at work with digicams and the low-
end DSLRs.

But it doesn't fit that well with Leica's modus operandi or
gestalt or business scale or price-points or value prop or
Lord knows what.  Maybe Panasonic is a partner that can
help Leica get a piece of the photography-cum-consumer
electronics industry. And vice-versa, helpwise, of course.

As weird as it sounds, Panasonic might be a better majority
shareholder for Leica than Hermes.  More "synergies" :-)