Subject: [Leica] Digilux digressions and dioramas part II, the beginning
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Wed Sep 15 10:52:36 2004

The LUG is a computer-based forum, so the birthday that would matter here is
128.

If you are confused by this statement, let me explain. If you are not
confused by it, please pretend that you think it's funny.

Computers represent information with electricity, which is either on or off.
That means that they can store 0 or 1. To make bigger numbers, they combine
the "bit" of information that is a 0 or a 1.

If 10,100,1000, and 10000 are important numbers in the world of ten, then

one, one-zero, one-zero-zero, and so forth, are important numbers in the
world of two.

But when you write them down (those important numbers in the world of two),
this is what they look like:

10, 100, 1000, 10000, and so forth.

In the world of two, here is what they mean:

1          1
10         2
100        4
1000       8
10000     16
100000    32
1000000   64
10000000 128

So birthday number 128, which will be in the year 2007, is the one we should
celebrate here.

For myself, I will be delighted beyond measure if the Leica Camera Company
is even still in existence in the year 2007. If they aren't, it will be the
darn zeros and ones that did them in.

Message from feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] Digilux digressions and dioramas part II, the beginning)