Subject: [Leica] Re: The Economist (WAS: Kerry Who)
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu Sep 16 21:55:00 2004

Don,

Actually, I do not find the Economist unbiased. I love the magazine--its
writing style, its thoroughness, the total absence of lifestyle and
celebrity articles--but it does have a political orientation towards the
right. They endorsed Bush back in 2000 and I am almost certain they will
do so again this year. I shall continue to subscribe despite that.

Nothing is really unbiased. Every editor has an agenda. The bias
expresses itself in overt ways (such as endorsing a candidate) or more
often covert (e.g. in selection of stories to cover, pictures to publish
etc.). I prefer the political orientation of the media to be out in the
open. From my youth in Denmark I am quite used to newspapers being
associated with political parties--the Social Democrats had their rag,
Aktuelt, the Conservatives had Berlingske Tidende, the
middle-of-the-road Radicals (akin to the Liberals in the UK) had
Politiken, the Communists Land og Folk, and so on. These affiliations
are a bit more blurred these days, although the orientations, broadly
defined, persist (except that the Social Democrats, despite being the
largest party in the land, seem unable to run a newspaper, consequently
their rag tends to go bankrupt and cease publication every few years).

The medium that comes closest to being really unbiased is in my opinion
the BBC--a UK national treasure.

Nathan