Subject: [Leica] Eggleston links
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Fri Sep 17 16:49:29 2004

Phong and Philippe.  Thanks loads for the Eggleston links.  I really
enjoyed them.  When I lived in Memphis in the late 60s Bill and I were
friends and I spent a lot of time at his house looking at pictures and
talking photography and music with him.  He definitely changed my ideas
about photography.  I also attended the 1976 MoMA show mentioned in the
Slate link and still have my original copy of the "Guide," along with an
invitation to the opening signed by Bill's wife Rosa.  A "Guide" recently
sold for $750 in a Santa Fe auction.

I have a few pictures of Bill from the Memphis years, and a portrait he
took of me hangs on my wall.  One of my portraits of him was selected for a
show in New Orleans last year at the John Stinson gallery.  The show
featured pictures of Bill by a host of other photographers who have known
him, some well-known.  Mine was the oldest in the show, dating from
1968.  I posted a couple of my Eggleston pictures to the Rollei gallery
last
year:
<http://www.rollei-gallery.net/pswango/folder-3978.html>http://www.rollei-gallery.net/pswango/folder-3978.html

At the opening of the N.O. show I got to meet his son Winston, who wasn't
even born when I knew his dad.  We had a great time swapping Memphis stories.

Relating to the issue discussed in one of the links that Bill was a pure
Leica shooter, I can add some info.  He loved Leicas but used mostly Canon
screwmount bodies when I knew him.  He also used a Rolleiflex, Mamiya
Universal Press 6/9cm, and a 5x7 view camera.  Later a Pentax, Stylus and
Contax (I'm not sure which models).  Recently a Fuji 6x9, according to
Winston.  I would generalize by saying he preferred the 2:3 image ratio
and  a normal lens.

I love his work but don't like to get drawn into discussions of its
merit.  He's had a solo show at the MoMA and received the 1998 Hasselblad
Award, which puts him the company of artists like Robert Frank, Richard
Avedon, and HCB.  That's good enough for me.

I know his work is hated by some and I hope not to start a flame war
here.  If one starts I won't participate in it. ;-)

Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr. SE
Albuquerque, NM  87108
505-262-4085