Subject: [Leica] All bets are off
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri Sep 17 19:22:33 2004

While I was in the local pro shop I had an opportunity to talk with the
regional Canon Rep.  I have known Ken for quite a while and he has been
a rep for maybe twenty years.  He really is very good at his job.  You
have to interpret his comments like you used to with the official PRAVDA
statements.

I get the distinct impression that Canon will update the 1Ds with a much
higher pixel count chip, improve the cache, and increase the framing
rate.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  Nikon is basically
going with two models, the D70 and the D2x. (Why would you buy the D100,
and why would you buy the D2H with the D2x offering better resolution
and an equal framing rate?)  Canon is proceeding with the traditional
market segmentation approach with the DRebel, 20D, 1DmkII, and the 1Ds.

With the Nikon, you go back to one body for the pros that pretty much
does it all.  With Canon, any of the middle to upper bodies could do
almost any photographic job, but with specialties that might get you to
own two different models.

To stay on topic, having an R9 with both backs would be a very nice
place to be.  10MB is enough for almost any reasonable photographic
endeavor and without auto focus you are not going to sell many to the
sports shooters.

0.02

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com