Subject: [Leica] All bets are off
From: feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio)
Date: Fri Sep 17 19:44:52 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 19:22, Don Dory wrote:

> It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  Nikon is basically
> going with two models, the D70 and the D2x. (Why would you buy the D100,
> and why would you buy the D2H with the D2x offering better resolution
> and an equal framing rate?)  Canon is proceeding with the traditional
> market segmentation approach with the DRebel, 20D, 1DmkII, and the 1Ds.

I'm pretty sure there will be a D100 replacement, call it the D200.
Right now they have a huge hole in their line up. $999 for a D70 (6MP)
and about $4-5000 for the D2x with the 4MP D2H in the middle, which suddenly
isn't looking all that hot.

I think the big question is will the D200 be a stripped down D2x, like the
F100 was to the F5, and will it be 8MP or use the same 12.4 MP chip. There
is also talk of a full frame D3, but who knows if that's just hot air.

What would not be good is if they take 6 months to introduce it at PMA...
Canon will have sold a lot of D20's by then.

Feli