Subject: [Leica] new 1ds mark II
From: banacloj at mac.com (Juan Gea-Banacloche)
Date: Tue Sep 21 17:48:20 2004

I guess most people always want more. In a Leica users group, this
would be expected. More megapixels give you more freedom. The issue is
not so much if 6MP are "enough" for "almost" everything. If many users
will go the extra effort and $$$ to use the apo-aspherical instead of
the Summicron, or Kodachrome 25 instead of 64, it means that, for some,
that "almost" is important. There are shots that can only be taken with
the Noctilux; I would venture there are shots that can only be taken
with the new 1ds Mark II (sometimes it's nice to be able to crop and
crop and keep getting detail!), and in 5 years who knows how many
megapixels will be considerde "enough".

What baffles me is the pervasive comparison between Leica and Canon &
Nikon in terms of bang for the buck. Has Leica ever been "competitive"
(value for money) in the SLR arena? My impression is that they stopped
even trying decades ago. Don't get me wrong, the R8 and R9 may be
absolutely wonderful machines, but do they offer more features (for a
similar cost) than the flagship Nikon or Canon? In this context, the
pricing of the Digital Module seems quite standard for the company (or
even less disproportionate than usual).

I hope that the digital module is a home run and the digital M another
home run, so this does not become the LEUG (Leica Ex-Users Group)...

Juan

Replies: Reply from nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] new 1ds mark II)
Message from bladman99 at yahoo.ca (Dan C) ([Leica] new 1ds mark II)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] new 1ds mark II)