Subject: [Leica] Leica Thread Mount Camera Poll
From: doubs43 at cox.net (Walker Smith)
Date: Thu Sep 23 10:11:38 2004

>I still use my  IIIb, freshly CLA'd and working like a charm.  I use
>two 5 cm f: 3.5 Elmars, one coated and the other not, a 9 cm f:4 Elmar,
>and a 2.8 cm f:6.3 Hektor as OEM kit, and a Jupiter f:2 as my "fast"
>lens.  This was my first Leica, bought at Monument Photo in East
>Baltimore, defunct since the riots of '68.  I paid $35 for the camera
>and the Hektor (+viewer) and later got an Elmar for $20.  All prices US
>:-)
>ah for the good old days.
>
>cheers,
>John Scocca

John, you did get a deal for certain. I own a Model A that I inherited
from my father and, as I recall, he paid $60 for it in 1959 or 1960 when
it was advertised in the Baltimore Sun. When he called about it, the
seller said he'd had several calls but no one had $60. My father told
him he did and if he'd give him time to drive to Balmer (we actually
called it "Baltimer" in Frederick County) he'd buy it. The seller
agreed, Pop made the trip and it has been an excellent camera over the
years. It still works fine although it could likely use a CLA.

BTW, I just purchased a Zorki-4 that includes a Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 LTM
lens and I'm anxious to get my hands on it so I can give it a try on my
Leicas. It's been shipped from the Ukraine so I should have it within a
week or so, I hope. The Jupiter-8 on my Kiev-4A (Contax copy) is a very
good performer.

Walker