Subject: [Leica] Leica donation to students
From: leicagalpal at earthlink.net (Kit McChesney)
Date: Sun Sep 26 12:29:25 2004

Greg--

Leica has inadvertently pushed itself into this niche, with a product that
has a different appeal than these products. Leica is a tool. A Rolls is a
car, a status symbol. As is a Patek watch. Or a Mont Blanc pen (everyone
knows Mont Blancs leak!).

Leica has made itself exclusive, I'd say, by accident. And by doing so, it
has cut off its core market. People who use cameras to take pictures. I'd
bet that they didn't envision that they'd be here, stuck in an elite corner
of the market, priced out of range of most of the people who could keep them
in business. They've responded to this by introducing products that appeal
to collectors who don't (necessarily) shoot.

Nope, if they want to be taken seriously as a camera and lens manufacturer,
they are going to have to acknowledge that a big fat chunk of their core
market is now unable to buy their product. That's what I meant by what
you've quoted here.

Kit