Subject: [Leica] Leica donation to students
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Sun Sep 26 11:55:31 2004

Kit McChesney writes in part:

> No one wants to be so exclusive that few customers can afford to
> buy their products. Anyone who does should not be in business.

Kit, where have you been for the last 50 years? Companies who want to be
"exclusive" are legion in number. There are considerable numbers of
"exclusive" and expensive producers of goods today. To list just a few:
Rolls Royce, Patek Phillipe, Mont Blanc, Versace, Alfred Dunhill, Giorgio
Armani, Mercedes Benz, Lange and Sohn, Gucci, Ermenegildo Zegna, Rolex,
Tiffany, Ritz Carlton, Porsche, Harry Winston, Chateau Margeau, most Cuban
brand Cigars, etc., etc., etc..

There are also legions of companies who are making considerable efforts (and
investment) to join the club. Volkswagen with their Phateon serves as the
strangest current example!

To my mind Leica, except for some of their attempts for instant collectable
cameras, does not qualify as "exclusive" to the same degree as most of the
above. They are however a higher priced niche player and seem to quite happy
playing that role. Less expensive Leica cameras and lenses are not
economically feasible. Leica supplying "free cameras" is just plain crazy!

Regards,

Greg

Replies: Reply from leicagalpal at earthlink.net (Kit McChesney) ([Leica] Leica donation to students)