Subject: [Leica] Re: what should photokina bring?
From: Summicron1 at aol.com (Summicron1@aol.com)
Date: Mon Sep 27 15:42:49 2004

interesting note in today's paper that Adobe is hoping to bring out a new
standard of digital compression for digital cameras to replalce jpg files
and, it
hopes, this will become the new standard for the industry and it wants to
offer software for people so that computers can convert to the new
"standard"
from 65 or so current cameras.

And what does this tell us?

That the current crop of digital cameras, from $5 thousand canon and nikon
the lowly p&s, are going to be obsolete junk in five years, unsuported by
computer makers who tell old fogies using jpg systems to quit being such
slaggards, get with the modern system, jpg stuff will be lumped in with 5
inch
floppies and 8-track tapes.

so they're trying to do to digital cameras what digital cameras did to film
cameras but, ya know what? Film cameras still take lovely images that
digital
cameras can only claim to match, at best.

so what do I want from Photokina?

Not a damn thing.

c trentelman

Replies: Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] Re: what should photokina bring?)