Subject: [Leica] emt_whew!
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Mon Sep 27 16:56:34 2004

In a message dated 9/27/2004 6:35:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:
Wonderful image...one of the things that I, as the list's resident
Commie, find really moving about this image is the racial composition of
the image. What, I can't help wondering, would this photo have looked
like had it been shot in the same down as recently as, say, 1970? 1960?
That may seem like the ancient past, but it's very recent in historical
terms. This is one of those images that practically screams at the
viewer, things may be far from perfect in this country in terms of race,
but boy, have we come a long, long way!

Great shot, Sonny. Really.

B. D.
Dear Pinko:

;-D

Thanks for the really nice comment. Natchitoches, a city of blacks, whites
and creoles, like many places, has problems, but on the other hand I think
we do
pretty well in some respects.  A few months ago, after trying to field
questions about the integration of Northwestern (it happened while I was a
student
here) I talked to a prominent black man.

He, like me, could not remember any incidents here.  He did point out that
"Black and white people in Natchitoches tend to get along pretty well,
especially after dark,"

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com
Natchitoches, Louisiana
Oldest continuous settlement in La Louisiane
?galit?, libert?, crawfish