Subject: [Leica] Vario-Elmar-R 28-70/3.5-4.5 vs 35-70/4
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Wed Sep 29 14:07:45 2004

Michiel

Mine seems just fine optically, even at the wide end, no more distortion
than any other 28-70 zoom.  It is a slow lens, but works fine for my
purposes.  i have used it with flash and have not had any problems with
exposure, even with the variable aperture, and I do not have a TTL flash
with the R4SP.  Mechanical quality is the problem I have seen.  It is not
as tight as other Leica lenses, especially the hood.  The newer version I
have heard is a much better overall package, and has a detachable hood,
which unfortunately will not fit the older lens.  My hood has completely
worn to the point it just flops around.  It is the only zoom I own, and I
recently purchased the 24mm R lens used, a real nice optic with a bit of a
flare problem, which can be controlled easily, although I wish there was a
cap for the hood like the 24mm M version has.

Gene

I can't agree with that.
I had the 28-70 but traded it in for the 35-70 after a few weeks. In my
opinion it is not up to Leica standards. At 28 there is too much barrel
distortion. The full opening was not very useful for me, too low in
contrast. The variable aperture makes it useless with non-TTL flash.
Maybe I had a bad lens, but this was the first and only time I regretted
buying a Leica lens.
I now have the 35-70 and the 24, both are great, truly Leica lenses.

Michiel