Subject: [Leica] Re: Zeiss Ikon
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sat Oct 2 18:05:39 2004

Why would we go crying if Leica, which has become a boutique, rather
than a serious camera company, eventually goes belly up, Emanuel. I, for
one, own no stock in the company. And as many have pointed out, there
are enough M6s and M7s out there - along with lenses - to take care of
us, our children and our children's children, particularly as the number
of people who will want to shoot film will be getting smaller with every
passing year.

And while the MP maybe beautifully made, to call it one of the finest
photo making tools ever made when it has that ludicrous retro rewind
knob is to turn out Leica promotional copy, not to engage in rational
discussion.

Further, I know what drugs I'm taking at the moment, but I have to
wonder what you're using that you would write something as offensive as
this:
"What is astonishing to me is how such numbers of
previously professed Leica users are rushing like
fools towards the alleged pleasures of digital
masturbation, like a bunch of 12-year-old schooboys"

Because, Emanuel, those you describe as 12-year-old schoolboys engaged
in the "alleged pleasures of digital masturbation" include not only many
of the most experienced, most dedicated Leica users on this list, but
most of the world's leading photographers.

Yes, the day of the M is, sadly, coming to an end. Resale prices have
been dropping line stones in the St. Lawrence for at least 18 months
now. The end is neigh. But that doesn't mean that most people on this
list, and many 10s of thousands of others won't keep shooting with their
Leicas and getting great enjoyment and fulfillment out of doing so. And
that is, after all, what all of this is about - isn't it? ;-)