Subject: [Leica] flash photography techniques
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Mon Oct 4 13:45:13 2004

Howard Sanner writes in part:

> The party is being held in a horrible room. One wall is a
> floor-to-ceiling window that faces southwest. So, no matter what
> you do, you have the backlight from Hell. (Don't suggest closing
> the curtains. Nobody'll go for it. Changing the room is also not
> an option.) The artificial light comes from 100W incandescent
> light bulbs recessed in individual soffits in the ceiling. They
> provide *extremely* contrasty light that points straight down.
>
>       On ASA 400 film, exposure would be something like f/2.0 at 1/30,
> and the pictures would still look horrible because of the
> contrasty light. (I've been there and done that.)
>
>       I'm going to use my M6 and whatever lenses seem appropriate,
> probably mostly the 35mm f/1.4 Summilux. I have a Vivitar 285 flash.
>
> I know, having tried it, that bouncing the flash off the ceiling
> (fortunately white) will produce less bad pictures than direct
> flash with its shadowy "halo" around objects. What I'm mostly
> worried about is the light in the background falling off. I've
> done some photography there previously with an M3 and the Vivitar
> 285 angled at 45 degrees. The results weren't too bad, but I wish
> there had been more light in the background.
>
> Any suggestions?

Hi Howard,

If getting the shots you want with the window light behind won't work you
may want to consider borrowing or renting a couple of Metz flashes and Nikon
SC-17 flash controllers. More light may be a better solution than less
light. Nikon also makes some wireless flash modules that work very well with
Metz flashes and a Leica TTL camera (check the archives). Is you camera the
non TTL version?

I'd do a few tests by pointing all flashes (meaning 2 or 3) at the ceiling
and or walls.

Regards,

Greg