Subject: [Leica] Leica R lens question - 180mm
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed Oct 6 02:17:25 2004

Chris,
Any of the 180 APO lenses are stunning in all aspects.  Like all lenses,
weight and cost are exponentially related to aperture.  If in your dark
churches F2.8 works then go that route.  On the other hand, if F2 is
what you really need to hold a decent shutter speed, then the 180
Summicron is simply divine.

Simon does touch on a point, DOF is less than a Noctilux wide open so
using F2 close up you do need to consider what is not in focus.  So if
you would like the bride and groom to both be in focus then F2 would not
be a good choice.

For me, I would pop for the Summicron as then you get the choice to
control the aperture and resulting DOF.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com