Subject: [Leica] OT: I need a cheap FILM camera
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed Oct 6 02:48:17 2004

Nathan,
If your friend's son is perhaps going to advance in photography then two
choices open up.  The first is cheap and disposable as you don't know
which way he is going to go and the first camera just has to work.

Camera's that fit that category would be a Spotmatic with a SMC 50 F1.4
which can be had for less than $100 with some bargaining. Canon FTb,
Minolta SRT 101-102, Minolta X-700, Olympus OM where you need to avoid
the OM-2 as some models are not repairable, Nikon all models depending
on what is cheap while avoiding the EM.

In the cheap category, don't forget models such as Topcon, Mamiya, Fuji,
and house brands.  Orphans can be surprisingly cheap and really quite
good.  An example is a Topcon RE Super with a 58 F1.4 for $125:
interchangeable prisms, screens, motor capable, and very well built.  If
there is a shop that you have dealt with and has an honest staff then
ask them for a suggestion based on current stock.

I would avoid the K1000 as the price is usually bid up as it is the
"student camera".  Many of the K1000's have been abused by students for
many years as they get purchased then sold every year.

On the other hand, if photography may be a passion I would go a
different route.  Look for a user professional model; Canon F-1's are
available for less than $200.  Nikon F's with busted meters can be
pretty cheap.  If your friend is relatively flush, then an SL might be
suggested.  Don't ignore the Japanese Contax SLR's; the 167 and RTS
models can be found pretty cheaply now that the manual focus has been
pretty much abandoned.

My reason for suggesting the higher end models is that you get more
features such as full frame viewing, interchangeable screens, possible
motors, DOF preview, meters with a longer range, higher top shutter
speeds.  You know the drill.  For someone who might be creative, the
camera should not prevent the learning curve after the basics are
mastered.

In the end, without knowledge of the young man, all suggestions must be
pretty vague.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com