Subject: [Leica] Extra photo bag on the plane
From: locke at straylight.ca (Greg Locke)
Date: Thu Oct 7 16:26:02 2004

Hi Ken,

Yes there are problems with taking anything but the clothes on your back
these days.
In contrast lets look at what it uised to be like.

For nearly 20 years I would get on a plane with a camera bag with a large
body (or 2) and drive (F2 or F3) a half dozen lenses, a flash, a Quantum
battery and 20 rolls of film and assorted wire, cleaners and small tools
...and another body around my neck loaded with film.

The essential I needed to work on arrival ...and it fit under the seat in
front.

...then we got laptops.  Another piece to carry, a pain but do-able and it
would easily fir in the overhead.
And most airlines didn't really care.

AND everything else, long glass, film scanners, extra film went in the hold
AND WAS SAFE!. I never lost a thing in 20 year.

NOW!!

1/ You can't put anything of value in the hold because it will be stolen or
damaged.
2/ you are further limited to what you can take into the cabin.

Now for those who can get by with just a camera bag (no computer) or
sticking a couple of Leicas in a photo vest, GREAT  do it.  But if you are a
pro and need to carry more than a couple of bodies and a few rolls of film
what do you do.

One solution is combo camera bags/back packs that hold camera gear and
laptop and fit under the seats of most planes.

Another "homemade" version of this I used on my last trip to Africa was a
small day pack (which could fit under a seat) and I tossed in my laptop,
with an F2, F3, 4 lenses and 20 rolls of film in assorted belt pouches for
protection (I use the LowPro field and Street system for working in the
field) and one camera around my neck.

The PROBLEM with this is I also had another 250 roll of film in my checked
luggage which WE CAN'T DO NOW!!

...and who wants to go through security and miss your flight because
Thug-Boy with the rubber gloves needs to swab every FING roll!  ...sorry,
getting worked up.

Digital will certainly solve some of these problems BUT THAT'S NOT THE
POINT. The point is that professionals who need to transport equipment
securely and efficiently (not just photographers) to conduct their business,

Now:

I don't carry cameras with film in them. All are packed in the bag.
Film is all taken out of the boxes and tubs, but in a clear ziplock, which
is placed inside a black bag or pouch.

I get to the xray machine VERY early or when its not to busy, take off my
jacket or vest, pull out the bag of film, send the jacket and bag through
and ask for a hand inspection of the film.

...and wait while they empty the bag, demonstrate everything, explain why
the "little cameras" don't turn on...yada,yada,yada..

Pack up my stuff and head for the bar.

Every airport is different, even in the same country.
USA is, BY FAR, the worst ...sorry guys.
Heathrow, Schipol, Frankfurt are very efficient and don't waste time on
nonsense. They seem to know what they are looking for instead of just going
through the checklist. They also seem to be better trained and in some case
are real cops I believe.

Canada is JUST WEIRD!  It's different at EVERY airport. In St. John's they
ask if you have any electronic equipment and you have to put EACH PIECE in a
separate tub to go through the machine ...laptop, digital camera, cell
phone, PDA  ...

If faced with this DO NOT TAKE YOUR EYES OFF YOUR GEAR as you go through the
metal detector.
A LOT of thefts actually happen right here in front of these "professionals"

OK...I wandered.

What to do?

Minimise your load.
Arrange your stuff so its easy to inspect.
Not to many variations. No film in cameras.
If your laptop batteries are good, have your machine in on in standby mode
to allow quick start up.
OFFER to repack your stuff when you see them stumbling trying to jam it back
into the bag.

I, honestly don't know what to say if you need to carry more than 20 rolls
of film except ship it ahead via courier.

For me its just too much of a pain to fly anymore.
It has to be a pretty worthwhile assignment before I'll take the plane.
Now if the assignment is within a days drives I take the car if time
permits.

Less misery, screw the airlines.

-
Greg Locke