Subject: [Leica] Carrying photo equipment on car trips
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Thu Oct 7 20:23:15 2004

I've just finished a moderate length car trip - I think we drove about
2,000 miles or so.

I took an M and my R8 with two lenses (35-70 and 100mm) plus the
telephoto and the Canon 10D with 28-70 L zoom lens.

I'm not happy with the experience. I could carry the Canon and the R8
and a camera bag, but boy did it all get in the way. I liked the Canon
zoom but it is essentially an f2.8 35-90 on the 10D.

It was too many cameras. Getting into the motel meant packing them all
up and carrying them all upstairs along with the case for the long
lens.

So I'm going to start going simpler. Either the R8 OR the 10D. I'd
like to have a single lens to cover the 35-90 range. And for the M I
have a 35, 50 and 90 at F2 (2.8 for the 90).

I got to thinking that the best way to transport cameras in a car is
in an ice chest with a custom padded insert. You can get an ice chest
with wheels so they are easy to move around, and they don't have to be
huge.

I can't think of a reason not to use an ice chest (bought new for the
purpose) but I thought I'd ask if others can.

Hell, maybe I'll just take my two M bodies (.72 and .85) with color in
one and black and white in the other. It's a LOT lighter even if I
bought a Noct!

It's hard to use a polaroid filter on the M though to darken skies.

Well, I'm open to thoughts. I just know that our new Element is about
the perfect photography platform, easy to move around, all-wheel drive
and tons of space behind the front seats.

Adam