Subject: [Leica] photokina 2004
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Sat Oct 9 07:28:41 2004

MIKIRO wrote:
> Now I would be most interested to know what Mr. Daniel and other Leica
> people actually think of their digital M cameras. Back in 2000, they
> definitely denied their move to digital, suggesting that they have
> changed their mind or did not tell us the truth. Did you hear any
> (unofficial) comments from them on this topic?

Leica lost as much of credibility with me,
as say Colin Powell with his UN speech
on weapons of mass destruction.   In both
cases, either they didn't know what they were
doing, or they lied, or both.  I will still
consider the digital M when it comes out,
but I really, really hope that at this point,  Leica
understands that "good enough" is really "good enough"
and price it right as to have the market lead again
in the tiny and crowded rangefinder niche.
They don't have to make any technology breakthru,
nor do they have to beat any performance benchmark;
as long as they don't embarass themselves with respect
to the Epson RD1.  I truly believe it is their last chance,
if they still have any chance.  And I still root for them.

And hello Tom,
You don't know how good it is to see
you here, on the LUG.   The LTM Rapidwinder
works like a charm.  I wish I had known about
it sooner, as it is infinitely useful on a
Leica LTM with the knob film wind.  It is by
chance that I found out about it thru Greg Lorenzo,
here on the LUG.  Anyway, good health and good light
to you.  And if you are anywhere near Boston, you MUST
let me know.

- Phong

Replies: Reply from masonster at gmail.com (David Mason) ([Leica] photokina 2004)