Subject: [Leica] Outer zones and performance
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Oct 10 07:02:38 2004

Martin,
First, it is too early to tell about the Zeiss designs as they are not
available yet.  However, based on the published MTF charts, the 21 and
25 will be very, very sharp out to the edges from wide open.  The 28 and
the 35 much less so.  All of them exhibit almost two stops of vignetting
if that is a concern of yours.

My experience with the Leica designs is that the new lenses are
exquisitely good out to the corners.  The exception to the rule is the
21 SA which by 5.6 is sharp to the corners; the image does not have the
contrast of modern lenses however.  It is my understanding that the 21
ASPH rectifies all that.  The 24 ASPH should be in everybody's kit as it
is sharp, contrasty, and virtually flare free at any aperture at any
distance.  The same can be said of the new 28, both new 35's, the new 50
Summilux, the 75 Summilux, the 90 AA, and the 135 3.4.

So now it becomes the balancing act of price, size, build quality, micro
contrast, bokeh, and whatever personal hot points come up.

It might be the end for the rangefinder as we know it, but what glorious
tools we have to celebrate with.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com

What matters is the performance in the outer zones, for me at least. It
is
not too hard to make a lens that performs wonderfully in the center

Martin Krieger