Subject: [Leica] Lux Q
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (feli)
Date: Tue Oct 12 10:41:56 2004

On Oct 12, 2004, at 6:41 AM, Philippe Orlent wrote:

> Should I go for the 1st version or the last one of this beauty?
> Merci,
> Philippe

There are four versions of the 1.4/50 Summilux:

Version #1 (1959-61)
CODE: SOOME/11114 chrome / 11113 black.
Serial numbers range from circa 1,645,300-1,844,000
I would skip the very first version of the Lux. It was only made for
about two
years (1959-61) and supposedly is not very good, below 5.6.
It's mostly a collectors item.

Version #2 (1962-1994)
CODE: 11114 Chrome - 11114 black
Serial: 1,844,001-???
NEW optical formula, which was used until the arrival of the ASPH
version this year.
This version has a clip on hood and focuses down to 1 meter.

Version #3 (1995-2004)
CODE: 11868 black, 11856 chrome
Serial numbers: ???
SAME optical formula as version #2, except now it focuses down to .7
meters.
Newer coatings. I have one of these and it has the dreaded collapsible
hood.
I ended up getting a screw-in metal hood from the Contax G series.

Version #4 (1.4/50 Summilux ASPH - 2004)
CODE: ??
SERIAL: ??
Introduced this year (2004). The best 50 on the planet?
New optical design that utilizes ASPH surfaces and a floating element
for
improved close-focus performance.

This is the lens that people love to bash. It's been in the Leica
lineup for 40 years, but still delivers the goods.
I have the 3rd version and really like it. It's sharper than my
Summicron DR, but at f2 not as sharp as the current
2/50 Summicron-M (in the field and corners). Puts describes it as a
Summicron 2/50 version 3 opened up one stop and based on my experience
shooting with it and the Crons I agree. But I also believe that
absolute sharpness isn't everything. This lens is a real bokeh machine
and displays a perfect balance between contrast and sharpness. It may
be the apex of the old school of lens design that dictated high
resolution and moderate contrast. It's superb for black and white work.

Feli

feli2@earthlink.net
www.elanphotos.com

Replies: Reply from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] Lux Q)