Subject: [Leica] First PAW
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Thu Oct 14 08:15:19 2004

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the PAW club from another newbie (< 1year)!  It's sometimes
difficult, but very rewarding.  Be prepared for positive feedback, negative
feedback, and (most often) little feedback at all.  That's ok...just use it
all to improve what you're doing.

You asked for feedback, so here goes: it's a nice family shot with the
potential to break out of that classification.  I find the boy's expression
quite interesting and positioning very good...the girls' expression not as
much so and the positioning of her head relative to the beam behind her not
ideal.  If it were me, I'd consider cropping it down to just him.  I think
the colors might actually work better that way also.  Of course I'm only
talking photographically...if these were my kids, I might keep the full
version for personal reasons.

Technically, may I suggest something that I learned early on when I began
my PAW...that you experiment with "Save for Web" in photoshop.  The image
you posted is WAY bigger in terms of file size than it needs to be for web
display...likely chasing away some viewers.  It's 1.5MB (1500KB) for 900
pixels on the large dimension.  I try to keep the web versions of my images
to 50-100KB for 700-800 pixels in the large dimension, and the difference
is not readily apparent on the web.  Your viewers will thank you!

Hope you find this helpful.

Best,
Aaron

Replies: Reply from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) ([Leica] First PAW)