Subject: [Leica] Digital "crop factor"
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (feli)
Date: Fri Oct 15 10:46:10 2004

On Oct 15, 2004, at 6:06 AM, John Collier wrote:

> According to the rumors I have heard, the digital M will have a
> similar sized sensor as the digital R back. As long as a few fast
> wides follow, this should be no problem.
>
> John Collier

As much as I would like it to be full frame, I suspect they will
recycle a lot of
the technology, including the chip, that went in to the R-Module. I
doubt they
have the money to develop two separate technologies. I'm also guessing
that
a GOOD full frame chip is prohibitively expensive and would price the
camera
right out of the market. Canon makes their own chips for the 1ds II,
which must
be a lot cheaper than buying them from a supplier. So, it looks like we
will get
a x1.37 crop factor and maybe full frame down the road.

Feli

feli2@earthlink.net
www.elanphotos.com

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Digital "crop factor")