Subject: [Leica] Re: Future R Plan
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Sun Oct 17 15:10:06 2004

I can only see some very long term lack of both will
and capital to explain Leica's current poor condition.

I have an M6 and a Bessa R.  I'm no collector. I took
in my Bessa R to get the RF aligned. The repair guy
had lots of M3's and what not for sale.  I commented
that I loved the R because it was just so darn cheap
yet nicely functional. I beat it up. He looked down
and shook his head.  "Yes," he said, "but it's such a
shame that it took decades for someone to build it."

As far as I can tell, Leica was fully present to the last
50+ years of camera industry and design and simply
didn't respond effectively to change. Plain and simple.
I'm no historian, but going back to 1953 and the very
successful M3, when did this start?

If Nikon were Leica, they would only have the F5 and
their premo lens offerings.  That would be a joke. No,
they have bodies ranging from $200 or so up to many
thousands of dollars. Duh. That's the way it should be.

Yes, Cosina shows that building out a line of lenses isn't
moving heaven and earth. Is the new Summilux 50 the
bee's knees? Probably is!  But many folks here think this
is some kind of excuse for Leica not keeping up in other
areas of camera design and building out a full product
line beneath their current premo priced offerings. No,
there is no excuse.

Leica needs access to capital and technology. They need
to make business decisions that will get them profitable
again.  These go together.  I would not personally invest
capital in today's "niche-committed" Leica.

Leica's best move is to sell itself to a company with capital,
technology or access to technology, access to low cost
manufacturing and access to the full range of retail
distribution.

Sure, Leica can still make wonderful MP bodies, but they
need a full range of market-competitive offerings to ensure
survival for decades to come. Leica clearly cannot do this.

So sell Leica to a company that can.

Scott