Subject: [Leica] Re: Future R Plan
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Tue Oct 19 00:23:52 2004

I think you make a good point about QC. I have always assumed Leica
prices are high because they hold very close tolerances, which is
necessary for both focussing accurately and achieving the actual
optical potential of a lens design, particularly with wide angle
lenses.
Cosina probably achieve their lower prices by working to slightly lower
tolerances. LUG members reported widely variable opinions about the
quality of the 15mm Voigtlander lens when it came out. I have heard
both that the 35 f1.2 rivals Leica lenses and Have an acquaintance who
had one which was very soft and really not very good wider open than
f5,6. Others have reported trying a friends lens, being satisfied but
ending up with a less good one when they bought their own.
Frank