Subject: [Leica] Henning's RD 1 report
From: mikiro at yahoo.fr (MIKIRO)
Date: Wed Oct 20 21:08:48 2004

Hi, Howard.

I am sorry to hear about the trouble of your R-D1. At least around me no
R-D1 users have complained of focusing problems. It seems that it occurs
in a limited number of bodies. Because of its short effective
base-length, R-D1 is not suited for use with 90/2 and 75/1.4, although
it should be as good as 0.58x Leica M. Personally I make more errors
than I want in focusing with a 50mm at f1.2 but rarely with a 35mm at
f2. I do no know who exactly assemble R-D1. Unless it is made by Cosina
workers, it will take some time before the build quality is constant.

As for the RAW software, I gave up using Epson Photolier and now use
Silkypix, which gives smoother images with much better user interface. I
hope they will soon release an English version. Unfortunately it does
not offer vignetting compensation.

http://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/japanese/index.html

Cheers,

MIKIRO