Subject: [Leica] Re: Skylight of Choice
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (feli)
Date: Wed Oct 20 22:31:37 2004

I only use a filter if I am in a obviously hostile environment, like
the desert or when shooting near ocean spray etc. Sand/dust isn't good
for any lens and saltwater can damage the coatings.
I once took some shots of a worker using a grinder. I used an UV filter
for that and was glad I did, because it stopped some pretty ugly stuff,
which otherwise would have been on the front element. I really don't
care if the body gets hit.

I don't like protective filters for several reason, the most obvious
one being that it is a flat surface, running perfectly parallel to the
front element, thus making it a perfect magnet for unwanted
reflections.

Instead use a rigid hoods, which provide all of the protection you need
and won't slow you down fumbling with a cap when you want to grab a
shot quickly. I usually toss a few caps in the bag, just in case, but
that's it.

Feli

feli2@earthlink.net
www.elanphotos.com