Subject: [Leica] New Generation Cosina RF/VF & reported Epson RD-1 focusingproblems
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Fri Oct 22 16:50:57 2004

>Hi Karen,
>
>I don't believe it's a good idea to lump all versions of Cosina's
>rangefinder
>mechanisms together --  there are differences in the now four generations.
>the statement about "The R2 that the R-D1 is based on has a fragile RF too"
>simplifies to the point of being inaccurate as far as I am concerned.  On
>top
>of that is the question of what is really causing the reported RD-1 focusing
>problems

Stephen -

Thanks for the long post detailing the changes. Yeah, I'm not sure
what the problem is either - whether it's a combination of a short
baselength is magnified by the crop factor. If you consider a 50mm
f/1.5 lens has the effective focal length of a 75mm, then you need to
consider it would be just as difficult to focus as a 75mm f/1.5. Even
a normal M would begin struggling.

But the units I've seen have commonly had problems with vertical
alignment. I'm sure it's a result of the bad handling as demo units.
Maybe Epson didn't gluedown the alignment screws with enough Loctite.
:-)  Let's wait to hear what the long-term users say.  I do hope that
Epson  covers  RF alignment under the warrantee.

Karen

p.s. It's cute to read the english manual and see the memory card
referred to as the HDD. :-)

--
Karen Nakamura

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] New Generation Cosina RF/VF & reported Epson RD-1 focusing problems)