Subject: [Leica] Re Leica M weather proof
From: corkflor at iol.ie (Alex Hurst)
Date: Mon Oct 25 04:04:01 2004

Alexander wrote:

>Thanks for the inso on drying an M6 I will write it down, but I may
>have mislead you. I wondered if anyone had any WAR (WORE) stories
>involving M cameras and their survival in adverse conditions. There
>is a web site some where which states a photographer shot all day in
>the rain with an M3 and although the camera worked fine. He opened
>it up when home and dried it out and it was perfect again. He also
>swears that and M3 in almost waterproof (within reason) because of
>this. I wondered if anyone had any other stories about M's and feats
>of endurance.

I've no problem about using Ms in mildly wet weather. Like Ted, I
just keep the camera tucked under a waterproof coat until I want to
shoot. A little rain never hurt a Leica providing you dry it off
immediately.

OTOH, if you're looking for a camera you can use in a deluge with
absolutely no problems, you can't beat a Nikonos V. I know it's
supposed to be primarily an UW camera, but for me it's the ultimate
kit for foul weather - and we get plenty of that in Ireland. I use it
mostly with the dual purpose 35/2.5 Nikkor, which has plenty of DOF
for zone focusing.

It's also a great camera for the beach. If it gets sandy, just wash
it under a tap.

  For Ms, I believe you can get something which is essentially a
plastic bag with a rigid clear pane you line up with the lens. But
tucking it under a coat works equally well.

Best

Alex
--
Alex Hurst
Waterfall

Tel: +353 214 543 328 (H)
        +353 214 270 907 (W)

Fax: +353 214 271 248
email: corkflor@iol.ie
Also: corkflor.2@virgin.net (when in the UK, which isn't often)
Home website: http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor/
Business website: http://www.corkflorists.com/

Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) public key available at:
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371
ID: 0x5BB72019