Subject: [Leica] Leica Day in Bryn Mawr
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Mon Oct 25 08:59:55 2004

A terrific time was had by all, though Sal's presence was sorely missed.
There were quite a few folks who had no idea about the LUG, but wanted to
get more information.  Perhaps our ranks may increase.

Thought about bringing my Leicina for a CLA checkup, but didn't want to go
through the frustration of explaining Double 8 film to the tech reps. (or
the inevitable reply, "We made THAT thing?")  The electric eye needs
recalibration; unfortunately, there is no easy way to set aperture manually
on the Leicina 8SV.  You can install a mercury battery and try to fake out
the lens setting, but there's no exposure lock.

On the M front, I tried the relatively new (and heralded) Summilux 50 ASPH.
The focus felt stiff, and the aperture ring seemed a bit mushy.  While these
might seem like minor quibbles, they aren't minor concerns for a lens that
retails for something like $2500.  For that price I'd expect something
equaling the build quality and feel of the MP or M7.

If Leica can make a modern M body that looks and feels as solid as its older
counterparts, why can't they build a lens that feels as solid as a 1960s
Summicron or Summilux?  Modern optical design is great, but for that kind of
money we really should be getting a lens built to commensurate quality of
the Leica bodies.

I'll probably host another Leica dinner at my place in the near future.
Will keep all posted on that.

Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA