Subject: [Leica] RE: Leica M4-2
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Sun Oct 24 08:18:24 2004

I never even think about it.  The frame lines are a reference only, and as
long as they are not less than what I see in them, then it is not of any
consequence in my book.  If I want absolute accuracy, then I can always
dust off my old Nikon F3.

Gene

feli <feli2@earthlink.net>
Sent by: lug-bounces+grduprey=rockwellcollins.com@leica-users.org
10/25/2004 02:46 PM
Please respond to
Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>

Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [Leica] RE: Leica M4-2

On Oct 25, 2004, at 12:14 PM, Henning Wulff wrote:
> I don't think you'll find an error of 20% with a 50. The error at
> infinity (or at any other distances for the 90 and 135 frames has not
> changed.

I think you will if you carefully compare a shot framed with a M6 vs a
M4. You will see a error
close to 20%, or at least 15%. Trust me, I have waisted more time on
this subject than I care to admit.

> The percentage framing error, as opposed to parallax framing error has
> been part of all rangefinder cameras except the Koni_Omega. Actually I
> think there was one other one, but I can't recall right now.

Yes, it is inherent in every rangefinder camera that that only
compensates for parallax in x and y.

> As far as the framing accuracy of older or newer Leicas, I'll take the
> newer ones, just as I'm not buying another 50 that doesn't focus down
> to 0.7m. If I'm interested in true framing accuracy, I'll use a camera
> with a ground glass, at the least.

If you mostly shoot at distances below 5 meters is not a big issue. For
others who
don't it can be a royal pain in the arse. ;-)

Feli