Subject: [Leica] For Ted and other WWII aircraft nuts
From: DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Tue Oct 26 15:57:24 2004

Peter Dzwig schrieb:

> This last I cannot claim to be anything like good. However the plane
> is claimed to be the ORIGINAL Spitfire prototype.

          What a lovely line-up of Mustangs Peter! and a Thunderbolt in
          the background too! Though I think this shot could take a
          touch more contrast, on my TFT-screen it looks a touch too grey.

          The original R.J.Mitchell designed prototype K5054 aircraft
          crashed and was totally destroyed on 2 September 1939 at
          Farnborough. The pilot, F/Lt White, was killed in the crash.

          The finished "new" prototype was unveiled in early 1993 at the
          RAF Museum in Hendon. It had been built by Aerofab
          Restorations funded by the Spitfire Society, on the suggestion
          of one of the test pilots, as a tribute to R.J. Mitchell.The
          reconstruction was based on the templates of a MkV and RJs
          original drawings.

Another tribute to him is a Spitfire on a high pole in the middle of a
carpark close to Hanley (Stoke-on-Trent) where Mitchell was born.
Douglas

Replies: Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] For Ted and other WWII aircraft nuts)