Subject: [Leica] About the Summilux 50mm
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Mon Nov 1 09:47:32 2004

Yes the Summilux, as with the entire Lens line, has benefited from
improved optical coating technology. While the optical formulation is
the same, the mounting is completely different. The E46 uses precision
mounting that eliminates the individual element shimming and centering
on the assembly line. As errors are more likely on assembly rather than
machining, the E46 is far more consistent from lens to lens than the
E43 version.

I too found the 1.0m focusing limit to be unacceptable.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] DR CLA -nice)